Pages

Wednesday 20 August 2008

Bristol symbols

Clifton Suspension Bridge is often held up as the iconic image of Bristol. Isambard Kingdom Brunel's impressive creation spans the craggy Avon Gorge. A gateway to the gorge beyond, the two Pennant-stone towers at either end are linked by fairy-lit iron chains, the road hanging over what can only be described as a long way down. It's a masterpiece in engineering that has lasted nearly 150 years. But for me, the bridge is superseded by a different Bristol symbol. The hot air balloon. Yes, in the battle of the 'Bs' there's a strong case for the balloon as the true image of Bristol. Sitting at breakfast, eating my shreddies, I often look out of my kitchen window. Over the past few days, my view of the leafy-green Ashton Court has been interrupted by a red balloon, peeking over the treetops. Slowly, slowly, like the sun rising, the full balloon emerges. Gently gliding, drifting, escaping, that balloon is a symbol of hope, possibility and wonderful freedom. And that, for me, is everything Bristol should aspire to be.

No comments: