Pages

Sunday 14 June 2009

Russian Fairy Tale (A short prelude to Petrushka)

'Why are you a-bowing, slender mountain ash? Bending your head down to the very ground?'
Across the wide river, standing just as lonely, a tall oak waits for her.
'How can I, a rowan, reach that great oak tree? With my slender branches, I would press him tightly
And with our leaves twining, whisper daily, nightly.
Oh you dark autumn moon.
I have no father, I have no mother
No one to call my own.'
The little rowan cannot cross the river. It seems her fate is sealed:
Sway alone forever.
The moon listens and fills the night sky; her beams fall like snow.
The little rowan slowly, very slowly, floats across the water.

This fairytale accompanied an improvisation by pianist Joanna MacGregor at this year's Bath Music Festival.

No comments: