Pages

Monday 29 March 2010

Found!

When I started my job two and half years ago, I inherited a desk, a few folders of assorted papers, a couple of biros, an opera trivia quiz book and the remains of an iTunes music collection. Dipping in and out of the tracks revealed a few horrors and a few gems. One of my favourite finds was a short song, beautiful and hypnotic. All I had to identify it was the composer: Monteverdi. Since then I've played it to everyone at work in an attempt to pin it down, listened to Monteverdi CDs, but, alack, no luck. I didn't know who was singing it, who was accompanying, what it was called. Until today. Success! Found while hunting for something completely different – details of an intriguing concert in the Wieliczka salt mine near the city of Krakow, Poland, performed by the early music ensemble L'Arpeggiata and countertenor Phillippe Jaroussky. It's a programme of Monteverdi, they've already recorded it as a CD and it includes my song!!!! And, more on this to follow, I'm off to Poland for a few days tomorrow and will hear it live. It's not the same performance as on my computer, it's better. Here it is:

No comments: