Pages

Sunday 3 April 2011

Memory lane

Songs often remind me, as I'm sure they do you, of places and people. This one I haven't heard for about four years, but when I heard it earlier today it took me back straight away to Lyon, where I started this blog. There I lived in a 'module' – that's a flat to you or me; just imagine a flatpack apartment and that's pretty much what it was like, hence the name – with 'Les filles' (three French, one Russian). Our rooms were off a main kitchen and living room, with a blue Ikea 'canapé' (sofa - the Oxford English Dictionary assures me this word actually exists with this meaning in English as well as French) in the corner. Our 'at-home' soundtrack was French radio which has about three recognisable songs amid copious amounts of bland wallpaper pop. Peter von Poehl was one of the ones that stood out:



One song always leads to another. Here's a little taster of Beth Gibbons, who I also heard early on in France after watching L'auberge Espagnole, a bit of a cult 'living abroad' film:

No comments: