Pages

Saturday 9 November 2013

Notes on Australia


• Verdi at Uluru and Sounds of Australia: my reviews of the two concerts at Uluru for BBC Music Magazine. And here are links to articles by two of my fellow Uluru journalists: Limelight Magazine; Vogue Italia.

• Just discovered this great website today, The Iron Ammonite. It includes amazing aerial photos taken from commercial flights. The photographer is Paul Williams, who works at the BBC's Natural History unit here in Bristol. On my flight from Darwin at the Top End of Australia (the naming is that literal) to Perth, down in the South West corner, I spent most of the time looking out of the window at the incredible red desert landscape, with its dried out river beds etched into the ground in snake-like meanders. Sometimes a brilliant flash would catch my eye, and a small pocket of water would be revealed – like a precious jewel buried in the sand. You can see Wiliams's Flickr set of photographs here, and I've posted his photo of Uluru from the air above.

• And, next weekend, I'm hoping to go to see the Australia exhibition at the Royal Academy, billed as the first major exhibition in the UK on the continent's art for 50 years.


No comments: