Pages

Thursday 3 November 2016

Reading the World

The challenge? Read one book from every country in the world. Accepted. Inspired by writer Ann Morgan's blog, A Year of Reading the World, I've decided to embark on a literary tour of the globe. I'm not aiming to finish it in a year, but I am going to try to read a book from each of the 196 countries that she covers – here's an entry on how she came up with the list. I might add places (ie some of the territories not on the initial line-up); I'll see how I go. I have, however, decided that books I've already read don't count towards the final tally, although I might include them in my bibliography. Any suggestions of the best fiction to read from other countries, available in English translation, gratefully received.

2 comments:

Gareth said...

Excellent idea. I've semi-resolved to read one book from each EU member state next year, which is definitely manageable if I maintain my current reading rate. It's quite an exciting prospect. An embarrassment of riches in France and Germany, for instance; but when you get to Slovakia or Malta there's the problem of availability. I may have to be creative. Good luck!

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Gareth. And excellent idea on the EU reading project. Topical, too. I agree that the availability issue might prove problematic. Will let you know if I stumble across any solutions!