Pages

Monday 18 June 2007

From under the umbrella

Last night, I saw the City crying
Cracked windows poured falling stars
And the streets were paved with mirrors.
















The penultimate stanza from "Last night, I saw the City breathing" by Andrew Fusek Peters, who is apparently the tallest poet in Britain. For what seems like weeks now my current city, Lyon, has been crying with droplets and spoonfuls and bucketfuls of rain. No cracked windows, but car headlights reflected and fragmented by the thin sheets of water covering the road suggest streets paved with mirrors; or canvases spattered with paint distilled from glass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becca, lovely to see my words with the photo of Lyon - this was written originally for a BBC poetry series called Wham Bam Strawberry Jam and then animated - I really enjoyed the images of the city and trying to bring that amazing nighttime feeling to life.
All best
Andrew Fusek Peters www.tallpoet.com

Rebecca said...

Hi Andrew,

Equally lovely to discover that you found my post! I found your poem by chance on the internet at www.poetryarchive.org; the words conjured up the image I was looking for. Unfortunately the photo doesn't quite do the real scene (or your words) justice: it was exactly as if the street had been paved with mirrors. I enjoyed taking a look at the animated images for this poem on your website, though I was wondering why you decided to alter the final stanzas?

Best wishes,
Becca