Pages

Wednesday 13 June 2007

Musical names...

Recently I read an article discussing the motives that compel people to legally change their names. Many reasons were listed, often variations on a theme of trying to fit in to or stand out from a new culture, but there were of course those who wished to change their name because it was simply too silly to live with. I started to think about all those names I have encountered which one might well be tempted to dispense with. Dougal McDougal wins the prize for ridiculousness as a result of repetition; I'm still wondering what opinion of their child's character Joanna Lumley's parents had (non-celebrity version) and someone clearly didn't think through giving Master Hamburger the first name of Andrew. Nineteenth-century English organist Reginald Goss-Custard is a firm favourite, as is Verdi Waddington (also an organist, and presumably a wannabee Italian opera composer). For sheer style, the prize has to go to I. F. Brilliant (first name Ira, founder of a invaluable centre for Beethoven scholarship). After cogitating, ruminating and digesting (cue Lloyd Grossman) this gourmet feast of names, what have I concluded? Unusual names, well I'm all for them. Unfortunate names? Well, quotationspage.com helpfully informs me that American humorist Evan Esar (?!) once said: "A signature always reveals a man's character - and sometimes even his name." So for those blighted with overly-meaningful names, all I can say, is better get working on that illegible signature.

No comments: